Thursday, September 8, 2011

Germany!

Well, I've been here for over a week now and haven't died. ;p
lol, so I figure that it's kinda late to try and play catch up (at least day by day)
But I'll probably fill in gaps as I go from now on.
There are quite a few pictures.... I'll try to post them in order and caption them well enough to at least give a vague idea of what I've been up to. =)

After I got moved in and set up I met my roommate later at night.  Her name is Helen and she's from the US too.

Ok, so, before I came there were some things I was told that have ended up not being as I thought they were.

1. Showers don't have to be under 5 minutes.  I still keep it short, but Helen was baffled when I brought it up. ^-^
2. Milk still has to be refrigerated. I was told that there was some that you just put in the cupboard. I haven't found that yet.
3. Plain water in restaurants costs about $2. (They gave me a bottle of water and a glass and charged me.) (Do I have to say from the tap?)

Things that I didn't Know:
1. You don't have to cross under the street. (I do though usually)
The first day, Helen had me dash across the street with her. 0_0
2. You can't really find clothes for under 9euros unless you're a baby. (1euro is about $1.50)
3. You have to specifically ask for the reciept if you want it and if you want a bag to carry your groceries/purchases in it costs extra.
4. There isn't free water anywhere unless you get it from the bathroom sink (or if you stand there and push the button on the machine at the Goethe that fills half a dixie cup ;p)
5. The wifi is terrible. I thought it would be everywhere, but just being on the 3rd floor makes it hard to get signal.
6. I didn't have to bring my own towel (at least not in Schwaebisch Hall).
7. I should've brought my winter coat (shoulda sat on the suitcase or something or wore it to the airport lol). A coat here costs between 200-400 Euros ($300-600). Yeah.  (Sooo mom, is that offer to buy me a coat out here still on the table or are you shipping mine here? ;p) (You'll probably have to ship it to the Freiburg)


(I'm going to try to do more of these as I think of them, but this was the only one that came to mind...because the birds are EVERYWHERE ;P)

A Note to Professors I Thought of While Here:
Dr. York: The birds here sound funny and there's one really annoying one I hear every morning. (It's a suuuper weird sound.) I plan on figuring out what it is...

No comments:

Post a Comment